Juan Canela, artistic director of Zona Maco, pointed out that the proposal for this edition is made up of 49% of international exhibiting galleries that come from 29 countries and the remaining 51% are galleries of national origin, in turn 55 groups of museums are added. and collectors, 20 talks will be offered, which as a whole confirms a great artistic offer.
For her part, Zélika García, founder of Zona Maco, presented during the virtual press conference her vision of the growth that the fair has experienced in these adverse years due to isolation and the impact it has had on the artistic world.
“Since the fair began we had the participation of around 40 galleries and we only had two sections, the main one and the one for new proposals with their respective committees. Over the years this changed since the section for new proposals emerged axes, then Zona Maco Sur, about 13 years ago, and then the Modern Art section. Several years passed and we started with the Design Fair, then we founded the Antiquarian Hall and later Zona Maco Fotos,” García recalled.
The founder recognized the significant growth that has given them room to attract more sponsors and boost the consumption of art for collections that remain in the country, such as the case of Jumex and Cuervo.
“Zona Maco has been changing and we are adapting mainly to Mexico because the most important thing is to support Mexican galleries and collecting in our country,” added the founder of this art fair. At the beginning, she recalled that great references for the management of artists in the nation. “There was no Tequila 1800 Award or the Jumex Museum, we have all grown together,” Zélika acknowledged.
The Zona Maco team has strengthened its path as the greatest expression of art in Mexico and Latin America. Among those involved in this initiative are names such as: Direlia Lazo, curator of Zona Maco Ejes; Esteban King, of Modern Art; Luiza Teixeria from Zona Maco Sur; Cecilia León de la Barra, artistic director of Design; Sara Hermann, from Photo; and Alfonso Miranda, curator of the Salón del Anticuario.
When and where is Zona Maco 2023?
Date: February 8 to 12.
Location: Citibanamex Center, Av. del Conscripto 311, Lomas de Sotelo, Hipódromo de las Américas, Miguel Hidalgo, CDMX.
Access: Access tickets can be purchased through the Zona Maco page at a cost of 350 pesos for online purchases and 400 at the box office.