As Agent Smith said, “You hear that? It’s the sound of the inevitable.” In this case, what is approaching at full speed is not a metro, but the end of a year 2022 that still has remain two batches of premieres before concluding the cinematographic course. Will someone be able to give James Cameron and his ‘Avatar 2’ a cure for humility? Christmas is approaching, and we already know that there is no better time for miracles.
The cinema premieres of December 21 and 23, 2022
‘Puss in Boots: The Last Wish’ (‘Puss in Boots: The Last Wish’, 2022)
- The film is directed by Joel Crawford and Januel Mercado, director of ‘The Croods: A New Age’ and member of the art department of ‘The LEGO Movie 2’ respectively.
- According to both filmmakers, the biggest influence on the film is the mythical western ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly’
- It has taken eleven years to arrive since the original ‘Puss in Boots’ was released, surpassing the seven and a half years between ‘The Croods’ and its sequel.
- Antonio Banderas once again lends his voice to the feline protagonist in a film that marks the animated debut of Florence Pugh.
- It is the new feature film by Japanese Hirokazu Koreeda, who on this occasion leaves his native land to film in South Korea.
- The film’s cast is extraordinary, and is headed by the always perfect Song Kang-ho —’Parasites’—, Gang Dong-won —’Peninsula’— Bae Doona —’Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance’— and the idol Ji- eun Lee.
- It comes to our cinemas after passing through festivals such as San Sebastián or Cannes, where Song won the best actor award.
- It is yet another example of its author’s obsession with the concept of family and probably one of the best films of the year.
Criticism in Espinof: San Sebastian Festival 2022 | ‘Broker’ is Kore-Eda shamelessly plagiarizing her own cinema… but it works so well that it doesn’t matter in the slightest
‘I Wanna Dance with Somebody’ (2022)
- It is Hollywood’s latest commitment to prolific musical biopics, and on this occasion none other than Whitney Houston has had to go through the machinery of the industry.
- It is directed by Kasi Lemmons, the actress and director who appeared in titles like ‘The Silence of the Lambs’ or ‘Candyman’ and responsible for films like ‘Harriet: In Search of Freedom’.
- Naomi Ackie has been selected to bring Houston to life on the big screen, and she had to wear false teeth for the occasion.
- The cast is completed by names like Stanley Tucci, Ashton Sanders, Clarke Peters or Tamara Tunie.
‘Eugénie Grandet’ (2021)
‘Say it loud and strong’ (‘Haut et fort’, 2021)
‘The crimes of the academy’ (‘The Pale Blue Eye’, 2022) – Limited release on December 23
If the new releases at the cinema do not finish us off on the weekend, you can take a look at the movies in theaters from last week, or the previous one.