The pride, the pride march, has a lot of history behind it, do you know it? It is time to delve into its origins. We tell you all about her.
Every year, at the end of June, the Pride March is celebrated, the Pride, the day of gay pride, but few know what its origin and history is, that is why we decided that we are going to tell you how it all began and why what of its importance. Ready? Here we go!
THIS SURE INTERESTS YOU: Good news! Danna Paola will be the face of TikTok in the CDMX pride 2022
- On June 28, 1969, the police arrived at a gay bar in New York and took out everyone who was there to intimidate them and take them to jail.
- Things turned antsy, because the people who were passing by and saw everything that happened, joined the bar attendees to oppose the arrest.
- The raid turned into three days of spontaneous demonstrations, now known as ‘The Stonewall Riot’; the result of a community tired of harassment, especially police harassment, since it was always violent.
- This is considered the first time that the LGBTTTIQ+ community (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transvestite, Transsexual, Intersexual, Queer and +) demonstrated against a heteronormative system that did not allow any other expression different from theirs.
- The result was that from there, the community organized itself to fight for their rights; they held assemblies, sought out leaders and politicians, held protests and did everything necessary to obtain their human rights.
- A year later, on June 28, 1970, the first gay marches began to remember the struggle that began in 1969 and to continue demanding rights and respect.
When was the first Pride in Mexico?
In 1979, in Mexico City, the first gay pride parade was held, which has not stopped being celebrated until today.
What is the LGBTTTIQ+ community asking for?
Equal treatment, having the same opportunities as heterosexual people; not be harassed and violated for loving, have the same possibilities of work and study, as well as medical services and rights, such as being able to marry (a situation that has barely been accepted in Mexico).
Why is it said Pride or Gay Pride in Spanish?
Because sexual identities and preferences should not be something that embarrasses us, it is a pride to be who you are, to be free.
Where does the colored flag come from?
The creator of the flag was Gilbert Baker, an American activist and artist, who decided to use the colors of the rainbow to represent all subgroups within the community.
As you can see, the gay pride parade is not an event that was born out of nowhere, it has an important background that is reinforced year after year.
Are you ready to celebrate Pride?
Do not forget to follow us on social networks:
Facebook: Official Fan Page
Instagram: Official count
TikTok: Official count
Take the Tú magazine on your tablet or cell phone!: Download the Digital Edition