A 21-year-old young man decided to take a 40-minute nap to get some rest, but he never imagined that he would end up losing one of his eyes, all from falling asleep with his contact lenses in.
As soon as he woke up, one of his eyes was completely red. Worried, he thought it could be conjunctivitis, a condition that, although annoying, does not represent a serious danger. Unfortunately, however, it was something quite delicate.
Mike Krumholz is an ordinary young American, who spent his days between his studies at the university and a part-time job he had gotten, but his normal life was affected when a bacterium attacked him. After taking a nap, Mike woke up with one of his eyes quite red, thinking that it could be a slight infection, the young man went to the doctor to check it out.
They found the herpes virus in my eye (or so they thought). They treated me for a whole month for the virus. I got tired of hearing: ‘This is just a very stubborn virus, but it will go away.
However, despite the intense treatment that the doctors prescribed and the fact that he continued to attend constant check-ups, his health did not improve, the state of his eye worsened and the pain increased. After more analysis and studies, the correct diagnosis finally arrived.
I got a call saying I had Acanthamoeba keratitis. The pupil is covered, that is because the cornea is very cloudy. The amoeba has largely eaten it.
Mike lost his eye and is now awaiting a corneal transplant, but he shared his story on his TikTok account @mikekrumholz13, as he seeks to raise awareness for something that seems harmless, such as leaving contact lenses in while sleeping. It can cause us big problems.
Let’s spread the word to save others from this horrible infection.
The case of this young man caused an impact: an amoeba ate his eye
TikTok: mikekrumholz13 pic.twitter.com/eqpkTQEN3D
— Rosalia Mag (@MagRosalia) February 24, 2023
– I leave the same contact lenses daily for six continuous months.
– Yes, I do not recommend it.