Unfortunately, we live in a time when women have to be very careful. In Latin American countries, femicides and disappearances head the news all the time and hearing so many sad cases, it is inevitable that we develop some apprehension or even fear. According to the Executive Secretariat of the National Public Security System, more than 1,000 femicides were registered in Mexico alone last year.
However, it is not fair that we let this fear prevent us from living our lives the way we want. That is why the most recommended thing for any girl will always be to take certain preventive measures, because although we have to continue with our lives, it never hurts to protect ourselves as we can.
What to do when walking alone on the street?
At some point it will be inevitable that we walk alone on the street (in fact, the vast majority of women in the world travel alone to their schools and jobs) and it is something so natural and everyday that you do not have to avoid it. However, some tips Very simple ones can help you feel more secure.
- To begin with, and this applies in all situations, you should always make sure you bring a phone with charge and enough credit to even make emergency calls.
- As much as possible, stick to busy, well-lit streets.
- Very important! Refrain from wearing headphones or checking your cell phone. It is best that you focus on the road and be very alert to your surroundings.
- Try to alter your route every so often, so no one can track you down so easily.
- If something gives you a bad feeling, don’t be afraid to ask for help. It is better to be branded as paranoid than to have a tragedy occur.
- Another recommendation that applies in all cases: always tell someone you trust where you will be.
Time to go home! Is it worth taking Uber?
Just like walking alone, at some point we are going to have to take a taxi or Uber without a companion. It’s such a common activity that you don’t have to be afraid, but you’re better off taking some super-simple precautions.
- If you use Uber or a similar service, before getting in the car, check that the plates match those of the apps. Also, verify the identity of the driver and trust your instincts! If something seems strange to you, it is better to cancel it; it is preferable that you pay a fine or lose your trip.
- If you use a normal taxi, look at the license plates. Never get into a vehicle that doesn’t have them, no matter how rushed you are.
- Tell someone you trust when you get in and out of the car and share your location in real time.
- Do not accept sweets or other souvenirs of the driver.
- Sit behind the driver. It will be more difficult for him to touch you without your consent and you can use the top of the seat or the seat belt to protect yourself.
- Before the car starts up, make sure the child lock is off. If the driver refuses to remove it, cancel the trip.
Travel alone? Of course it can?
Traveling is one of the greatest pleasures in life and you may not feel like waiting for your little group to agree to go to that incredible destination that you have always wanted to visit. It is not fair to deprive yourself of such an enriching experience as traveling, and with a few tips you will feel very safe and you will be able to enjoy your trip to the 100.
- Pretend you’re not alone. It does not hurt to fake phone calls or make people you know understand that you are traveling in the company of someone else. The sad reality is that a single woman will always be more vulnerable, so the less people know that you are alone, the better.
- A guy similar to the first is to wear rings that look like wedding bands or, failing that, engagement rings. Believe it or not, it can save you awkward moments if someone insists on flirting with you.
- Invest in a portable lock. Unfortunately, many girls have had horrible experiences where the attackers are the members of the staff from the hotel they’re staying at, so it’s worth bringing a portable lock (like this one) to be more secure in your room.
- Respect the cultural rules and traditions of the country you are visiting. There are regions that require specific clothing and it is best that you adhere to these rules.
- Avoid, as far as possible, asking ride. Many girls have an adventurous spirit and are not afraid to do hitchhiking and backpacking, but if you’re in an unfamiliar region, you better not get in cars with people you don’t know.
Tips to party safely
Like traveling, going out for a while to have fun with your friends is something that we should all be able to do without fear. There are preventive measures that you can take so that your fun nights continue to be that, pleasant and safe outings.
- Waters with what you drink! Be very careful with your glasses and do not leave them out of your sight so they do not adulterate them.
- It is preferable that you avoid going to places far from the city, especially if you will be returning very late.
- Do not accept drinks from strangers. You’re going to say we’re ruining your dating plans, but it’s not worth the risk.
- Now yes, when you return, avoid returning alone as much as possible and, preferably, choose a designated driver in your small group so that you do not have to take a taxi.
Others tips general
We know that we do not live in a safe world for women, so in addition to the advice you have already read, the following tips They will be useful in any situation and it would not hurt if you took them into account. Remember that it is not about falling into panic or paranoia, but we do have to take care of ourselves and each other.
- Carry something you can use as a defense weapon. Be careful with pepper spray, as they must be pressurized to work. avoid buying taser whose voltage you do not know, because a certain voltage is required to serve as a weapon and, above all, remember that even a stone can serve to defend you.
- Our body is also a weapon and if you have the opportunity to take self-defense classes, do not hesitate to do so. If you don’t have the opportunity, it’s enough that you know how to deliver strong punches and kicks, so it’s worth even checking videos on YouTube.
- Always tell someone you trust where you are going to be and with whom.
- Download apps special for the safety of women.
- Above all, you must be very alert and trust your instinct a lot. Do not hesitate to withdraw from any situation that makes you feel uncomfortable, even if you are branded as exaggerated or bitter.