Netflix He had been warning for some time that he was going to get serious in his fight against sharing passwords with people who do not live with the owner of the account and he has just taken a definitive step to put an end to this bargain. The company has announced the launch from today of a series of measures that affect countries such as Canada, New Zealand, Portugal and Spain that make it clear that there is no turning back, because it will soon spread to more places.
After a series of experiments that did not end up going too well, Netflix has finished making its intentions clear: wants to get us to pay more. And it is that one of the star changes is that those users of the standard plan or the premium plan will be able to add up to two additional subaccounts. Does it hit her? You will have to pay an additional 5.99 euros for each of them.
Obviously, this does not affect those who share an account and live at the same address, also taking into account the fact that the subscriber may be traveling. Specifically, these are all the changes that the platform has just announced with the intention of clarifying all the mess that has been in this regard in recent days:
The changes you just implemented
- Primary Location Settings: Netflix will give us all the facilities in the world to determine our location to ensure that everyone who lives there will be able to use it without problems.
- Manage account access and devices: The subscriber will have the ability to control who has access to the account. Everything indicates that it is an extension of this measure announced several months ago.
- Profile Transfer: Did you have your profile on someone else’s account that you don’t live with? Don’t worry, you will be able to take all your data with you when you create your own account. The work had already progressed here.
- Watch Netflix when you travel: Of course, Netflix knows that you may want to use Netflix when you travel, so you will have no problem using it on other devices, connecting from another TV, like the one in a hotel or a vacation apartment. The question remains as to whether there will be any limit.
- Add extra subscribers: the most important change of all. As I pointed out before, subscribers with standard or premium plans will be able to add up to a maximum of two sub-accounts of people “with whom they do not live” at the price of 5.99 euros in Spain. In Portugal the thing stays at 3.99 euros, so I already foresee some picaresque out there…
Now we will have to wait a bit to learn more about how strict Netflix will be when it comes to applying these changes. That instead of entering more money, what they achieve is that there are massive casualties. Changes to prevent it are already underway, but I am not sure that it will be enough…