While the 2023 Cannes Film Festival hits its last breath showing the jet-setters the films that, with luck and with few exceptions, we will see in a year —or two—, the common mortals are about to receive a new selection of film premieres that land in our theaters this Friday, May 26. Live action remakes, prestigious short films and much more for all tastes.
The premieres of May 26, 2023
‘The Little Mermaid’ (‘The Little Mermaid’, 2023)
- It is the new live action remake of a Disney animated classic that, on this occasion, is directed by Rob Marshall.
- Marshall has quite a track record with the musical genre, including ‘Chicago’ and familiar offerings like ‘Into the Woods’ or the fantastic ‘Mary Poppins Returns’.
- The cast of the film has arrived with controversy under its arm, with Halle Bailey in the role of Ariel – which, by the way, prevailed over actresses like Maya Hawke.
- Bailey is accompanied by interpreters of Melissa McCarthy, Javier Bardem, Jacob Tremblay, Awkwafina or Jonah Hauer-King, who gives life to Prince Eric.
Criticism in Espinof: ‘The Little Mermaid’ is much better than I expected, but it is not a miracle either: Halle Bailey shines in an acceptable remake that does not do justice to the mythical Ursula
‘The Knights of the Zodiac’ (‘Knights of the Zodiac’, 2023)
- It is the live action adaptation of the mythical manga by Masami Kurumada in the mid-80s and transferred to anime in the no less iconic series.
- It is directed by Tomasz Baginski, producer of ‘The Witcher: The Wolf’s Nightmare’ and executive producer of the Netflix series starring Henry Cavill.
- The cast of the feature film includes names like Mackenyu, Famke Janssen, Madison Iseman or Sean Bean.
‘Strange way of life’ (2023)
- It is Pedro Almodóvar’s new project, this time in the form of a short film that, according to the director himself, is his answer to Ang Lee’s ‘Brokeback Mountain’.
- It stars a stellar duo made up of Ethan Hawke and Pedro Pascal, and it hits our theaters shortly after it passed through the Cannes Film Festival.
- His team includes regular collaborators from La Mancha, including its leading composer Alberto Iglesias, and it is a Spanish-French co-production led by El Deseo and Saint Laurent.
Criticism in Espinof: Cannes Festival 2023: law and desire triumph in ‘Strange way of life’, the western “camp” by Pedro Almodóvar with Ethan Hawke and Pedro Pascal
‘The hummingbird’ (‘Il colibri’, 2022)
‘Kill Crabs’ (2023)
‘De humani corporis fabrica’ (2022)
‘The Fishbowl’ (2023)
‘A lifetime’ (2023)
In Espinof | The 46 most anticipated movies and the best releases of 2023