One of the most pressing reasons these days to go to a movie theater is not the quality of the premieres -which there is of everything- but to enjoy the air conditioning at full throttle. It has always been one of the maxims of summer cinema: you tell me, as long as there are explosions and it’s cool, it’s enough for me. East friday august 5 come to our billboard nothing more than four premieres, but with the idea, at least one, of crushing the box office with a clean shot. This time without superheroes. Well, sort of: Does Brad Pitt count as one at this point?
The premieres of August 5, 2022
‘Bullet Train’ (2022)
- The return of Brad Pitt to the leading roles after ‘Ad Astra’ has as partners Joey King, Michael Shannon, Logan Lerman, Sandra Bullock… and a new attempt as an actor by Bad Bunny, who is already preparing to star Sony’s new movie based on Marvel villains (well, in one that came out for two issues): The Dead Man.
- David Leitch directs, a safe value at this point after ‘John Wick’ (although he is not credited), ‘Deadpool 2’, ‘Atomic’ and ‘Hobbs & Shaw’. Wow, anyone can cough at this point.
- But Leitch and Pitt have known each other for a long time: the director was the actor’s stunt double in films like ‘Fight Club’, ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ and ‘Troy’. He has learned, though: Tom Cruise-esque, Pitt does 95% of the action scenes without stunt doubles for him.
- It is based on a Japanese novel, by Kôtarô Isaka, entitled ‘Maria Beetle’. It was published a decade ago, but as a result of the film it was translated into English for the first time.
Criticism in Espinof
‘A samurai hero: the legend of Hank’ (Paws of fury: the legend of Hank’, 2022)
- This film is inspired by the Mel Brooks classic ‘Hot Saddles’. In fact, Brooks himself appears as a screenwriter because he directly copies the plot and several jokes, although he gives them a more familiar twist. In total there are seven writers and three directors.
- One of these directors is Rob Minkoff, the legendary co-director of ‘The Lion King’ and the first two parts of ‘Stuart Little.’
- In the original version we can listen to Michael Cera, Samuel L. Jackson, Ricky Gervais, George Takei and Mel Brooks himself. In Spain we will be able to listen to Carlos Latre, who in the promotional video appears playing Buenafuente playing Robert De Niro.
- The voices were recorded twice: in 2015 and then, just before Covid, with a new script for which some actors had to change.
‘The photographer of Monte Veritá’ (‘Monte Veritá’, 2022)
‘Maria Chapdelaine’ (2021)
More recommendations in File Espinof
There are times when nothing that interests us is released on the billboard no matter how much we want it. No problem: in our weekly newsletter we tell you what we are watching, reading, playing and doing. A selection of movies and television so you can never say “Oh, I have nothing to do with it”.
Link | Subscribe to ‘Expediente Espinof’, Espinof’s new weekly newsletter