Car insurance in Mexico helps you greatly to soften the economic blow of a car accident. However, it all depends on the situation or context in which you are involved, which will determine whether an insurer will participate or not.
A cheap car insurance, like that of HDI Seguros, is an ideal option, since it accompanies you in the situations that you need it most. Even so, it is necessary to take into account the situations in which we can enjoy the benefits of an insurance company. Here we tell you everything.
What happens if the fault of an accident is mine?
First of all, it is important to know the parameters that define which of the parties involved is to blame for the incident. For this, two types of damages are differentiated in car insurance:
- personal injury: This is the case in which the accident causes injury to a third party, where the insurance company must take responsibility for the damage caused. The only way to avoid this payment is by irrefutably proving that the incident was the exclusive fault of the affected party.
- material damage: in the vast majority of accidents, the damage caused to some type of property is not lacking. In these cases, whoever claims compensation is the one who must prove that the other person is guilty. It can be through an agreement between those involved or through a witness.
As a result of this, two types of guilt can be defined:
- exclusive fault: is when one of those involved assumes full responsibility for the events.
- shared guilt: occurs when both drivers reach an agreement to share responsibility for the damage caused. However, it only occurs in personal injury, for which a percentage of guilt is calculated for each one. In this way, they can know the level of compensation that the insurer has to take care of.
What does auto insurance cover me if I’m at fault?
Everything will depend on the type of insurance that the person contracts. However, by law, it is essential to have a policy that covers Compulsory Civil Liability. Indeed, it is the one in charge of compensating the damages caused to third parties involved in an accident.
On the other hand, own damage will only be covered by an insurer if they have this type of policy. In that sense, they can be all-risk insurance.
Bearing in mind the above, we must add that for any type of insurance, especially car insurance, There are certain limitations when covering some accidents.
1. Medical expenses
In the event of being guilty, the vast majority of insurers continue to cover the insured’s medical expenses. In other words, if you have an accident and suffer serious injuries, you can start your recovery process knowing that the insurance will cover it.
Nevertheless, There are cases in which online car insurance only covers part of the rehabilitation. That means that they only cover an amount and not all of the medical expenses. For example, if the policy covers up to 6,000 pesos and the bill is 8,000, you must assume the difference on your own.
2. Compensation for accident
If you are involved in an accident and you were the cause, the way for the insurance to cover part of the compensation is by assuming exclusive fault. This, as we mentioned before, means that the rest of the factors that intervened were not the cause of the incident. Therefore, the behavior of the injured party is solely responsible for what happened.
3. Vehicle damage
If you are directly at fault for an accident, Car insurance does not cover damage to your vehicle. The only exception is when you have a policy that covers all risks and that, in the same way, will depend on several factors.
In that case, if we have comprehensive insurance, the company can define the vehicle as a total loss. It means that we would not have a way to repair the car and ask for a repair amount. This is only possible if we have not been to blame for the incident.
In what situations does car insurance not get involved?
The car insurer takes care of any expenses, but this will depend on different specific situations. There are cases in which the insurance company can ignore any payment.
- When the expenses are greater than the limits established in a Civil Liability insurance. In case of exceeding this amount, you will have to bear the difference yourself.
- Let the case arise in which the driver is not the insured, is not authorized or does not meet some basic requirements. One of them is that of being under 25 years of age or not having more than two years of seniority on your license.
- Test positive for alcohol or drugs. Also, in cases where it is shown that the accident was caused intentionally.
For all this, it is recommended to quote insurance online so that you can find out the option that best suits your needs. Above all, in situations as common as car accidents.